This week, we are making ‘staying in’ the new ‘going out’, with a selection of top movie recommendations to help you switch off, relax and lose yourself in another world for an hour or two. And, to complete your night in, we’ve thrown in a side order of favourite dishes that can still be sourced from local restaurants via delivery or takeaway.
With so many flexible streaming services available and, of course, good old terrestrial TV, there is plenty to keep you and the family entertained in the comfort of your own home; from comedy, romance and feel good movies to action, suspense and drama. Here is just a taster of what’s out there…
PAN-ASIAN WITH NETFLIX
Image credit: Banana Tree
Street style food with Vietnamese, Thai, and Indonesian influences can be found at Banana Tree. Offering an appetising selection of tasty bites and small plates, soupy noodles and delicious curries, you’ll also find a comprehensive choice of vegan dishes.
- Netflix Original: Marriage Story (2019) – Nicole and Charlie were once deeply in love but as time goes by, they’ve drifted apart. As the pair go through a gruelling divorce, they are pushed to their personal and creative extremes.
- Family: My Neighbour Totoro (from the range of Ghibli films) – when Mei and Satsuki move to a new home in order to be nearer to their sick mother, they discover a friendly spirit who takes the form of a giant rabbit-like creature.
- Horror: A Quiet Place (2018) – although the release of a Quiet Place II has been delayed you can still enjoy the original, regarded as one of the best horror movies in recent times.
- Comedy: Trainwreck (2015) – the hilarious Amy Schumer plays a journalist enjoying freedom and avoiding monogamy…That’s until she interviews a doctor and her life goals suddenly change.
- Classic: Jaws (1975) – an all-time classic which still sends shivers up your spine as soon as the theme tune kicks in.
Discover a full list of Netflix movie highlights here.
ITALIAN WITH AMAZON PRIME
Image credit: Osteria Antica Bologna
For all things Italiano, Osteria Antica Bologna has launched a new takeaway menu which includes antipasti, paste, zuppa e risotto, carne e pesce and dolci.
- Amazon Original: The Upside – a comedic look at the relationship between a wealthy man with quadriplegia and an unemployed man with a criminal record who's hired to help him.
- Family: Horrible Histories, The Movie – a group of British comedians show the sides of history they don't teach you in school. From the 'Savage Stone Age' to the 'Troublesome 20th Century', you see the full side to history.
- Action: Spy Game – retiring CIA agent Nathan Muir recalls his training of Tom Bishop while working against agency politics to free him from his Chinese captors. Featuring Robert Redford and Brad Pitt.
- Comedy: Booksmart – on the eve of their high school graduation, two academic superstars and best friends realise they should have worked less and played more. Determined not to fall short of their peers, the girls try to cram four years of fun into one night.
- Classic: Dirty Dancing – spending the summer at a Catskills resort with her family, Frances "Baby" Houseman falls in love with the camp's dance instructor, Johnny Castle.
THAI SPICE WITH NOW TV
Image credit: Rosa's Thai Cafe
A little bit of spice may be the order of the day and local gem – Rosa’s Thai Café – certainly delivers with its mouth-watering menu of sizzling Thai food.
- Sky Original: Four Kids & It – a group of kids on holiday in Cornwall meet a magical creature on the beach with the power to grant wishes.
- Family: Secret Life of Pets II – continuing the story of Max and his pet friends, this sequel follows their secret lives after their owners leave for work or school each day.
- Action: Spider-Man, Far from Home – Spider-Man must step up to take on new threats in a world that has changed forever.
- Comedy: Anchor Man, The Legend of Ron Burgundy – he is San Diego's top-rated newsman in the male-dominated broadcasting of the 1970s, but that's all about to change for Ron and his cronies when an ambitious woman is hired as a new anchor.
- Classic: The Shawshank Redemption – two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.
These and hundreds more movie highlights, including a premiere a day, can be found here.
If you fancy making movie night into a movie marathon, you’ll find more excellent recommendations and daily tips on Buzzfeed.com
To discover the full list of eateries which are cooking up a storm, ready to devour on movie night, visit our Delivering to Your Doorstep blog page.
In the meantime, sit back, relax, pop some corn and enjoy.
You might also like
Delivering to your Doorstep
Your favourite local restaurants offering delivery and takeaway options.